Sunday, June 5, 2016

Grow Curcurbita maxima! Grow!

Wow, my last post was in February. Sheesh.
Well, I've got a good excuse. I went back to work. I haven't sewn much at all.

But I needed to get cracking, the baby shower is next weekend! Got to get this little bundle in the mail asap!

Outdoor artsy shot on the big boulder. As I started taking these pictures, it began to hail. No kidding.
Here's the scoop. Grandpa grows ginormous competition pumpkins. Last year he grew the biggest pumpkin in their state. It weighed almost a ton! When I say almost, it was 1,997 lbs. That's a heck of a lot of pumpkin.

I googled the state pumpkin weigh-off, and found an image of Grandpa's winning Curcurbita maxima. I sketched it out on freezer paper and my applique was born.
my version of C. maxima
I don't know what pumpkin whisperers say when they talk to their plant, but I suspect "grow" is probably near the top of the list. It's applicable for babies, too. So grow it is.

And the backing.

Technically, the pumpkin is not a vegetable, it's a fruit. That's ok, Grandpa can set the kid straight for me. I'm claiming artistic license here.

Best,
Heather


Linking up to confessions of a fabric addict and Lea Anne who I know will be proud I got my applique on.


1 comment:

  1. You're back!! I love your pumpkin!!! I can't believe the size of the pumpkin Grandpa grew. To reach 2,000 pounds (give or take a few) you must be able to stand there and watch it grow daily. I feel like the regular jack o'lantern size that we grow are changing daily - but to get to that size must be crazy!! How would you even move it? Really cool quilt (with a fun story behind it.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ClotheslineCottons! I adore reading your comments, they absolutely brighten my day!